Undergraduate Transfer Orientation
Congratulations on your admission to UT Dallas! One of your first steps toward a successful transition to UT Dallas is to register for and attend Transfer Orientation. At Transfer Orientation you will learn about UT Dallas resources, meet with academic advising, and begin the process of registering for classes.
Transfer Orientation registration will close one week prior to the orientation date or when the date reaches seating capacity. Orientations will reach capacity quickly and are filled on a first come, first served basis. In the past, transfer orientations have closed over a month in advance due to reaching seating capacity.
Students are encouraged to read the Transfer Orientation FAQ webpage for additional information regarding orientation.
Transfer Orientation Dates - Summer/Fall 2017
Registration for Summer/Fall transfer orientation is now open. Registration instructions can be found on this webpage under the heading "Register to Attend Transfer Orientation".
Please review your schedule carefully before registering for Transfer Orientation. Once paid, students will be charged a $20 fee to switch session dates. Students who miss their orientation session, for any reason, will need to pay the full cost to attend a future date.
Transfer Orientation is a one day program from check in at 8:30am to dismissal at 4:00pm. Please review the FAQ page for a more detailed agenda.
Do not make travel, childcare, or work arrangements until you have registered, paid, and received a confirmation email.
- March 17, 2017* - This orientation date has reached seating capacity.
- March 24, 2017* - This orientation date has reached seating capacity.
- April 21, 2017 - This orientation date has reached seating capacity.
- April 28, 2017 - This orientation date has reached seating capacity.
- May 19, 2017
- June 14, 2017
- June 21, 2017
- June 28, 2017
*These orientation dates take place before Summer/Fall 2017 class registration opens or course lookup is available.
Register to Attend Transfer Orientation
Follow the below instructions to register for transfer orientation.
- Go to the Galaxy Portal and log in with your NetID and password
- In the middle column, under Orion Self-Service click on Applicant Center
- The Transfer Orientation Center is listed under the Admissions Heading, below the "My Applications" table.
- Click on Transfer Orientation Center
- Click on the Register for Transfer Orientation link
- Follow the on-screen instructions to select from available dates, add guests, and submit payment. Your Transfer Orientation registration request will be cancelled if correct payment is not received at the time of registration.
- After you have registered and paid to attend an orientation date, please complete the Pre-Transfer Orientation Module in eLearning. You will be able to access eLearning about 5 days after you register and pay to attend Transfer Orientation.
Orientation CommunicationStudents who pre-register to attend Transfer Orientation will receive session information by email. All email communication will be sent to the student’s UT Dallas email address. Information will not be sent to a student’s personal email account. The final email with the one day temporary parking permit, campus map and orientation details will be sent one week before your orientation session to the students UT Dallas email address.
Academic Advising and Class Registration
Orientation will include a group academic advising session, in which you will be given specific degree plan and registration information. Students can register for classes after they are admitted to UT Dallas, complete a Pre-Transfer Orientation activity, attend Transfer Orientation, and have all holds removed.
Some offices may require you to meet with academic advising after the Transfer Orientation date in order to register for classes. Be sure to check with your academic advising office regarding appointment availability and walk-in opportunities. Students are encouraged to register for Transfer Orientation as soon as possible to ensure the best possible class selection.
Holds on Your Account
Holds on your account may prevent you from registering for classes. Holds can take several business days to resolve. Please aim to have all holds removed one week prior to attending Transfer Orientation. Additional holds with other departments could also prevent you from registering. For details about remaining holds, check your student account at galaxy.utdallas.edu.
Examples of new transfer student holds are listed below. Students should review their personalized list of holds and “To Do List” items in Orion:
- Transfer Orientation — register to attend Transfer Orientation (see top of page).
- Application Fee — contact Admission and Enrollment Services.
- TSI — this hold will be discussed with your academic advisor at transfer orientation.
- Cannot Register Online — this hold will be discussed with your academic advisor at transfer orientation.
- Bacterial Meningitis — contact the Registrar. Please note that this hold can take several business days to resolve. Students should resolve this hold as soon as possible.
- Int'l Hold: ISSO — all F-1 and J-1 students have this hold. International undergraduate transfer students can attend a special breakout session for international students during Transfer Orientation, or attend a full-day International Student Orientation to get this hold removed. Contact the International Center with questions.
- TB Test — contact the Student Health Center. Please note that this hold can take several business days to resolve. Students should resolve this hold as soon as possible.
Financial Aid cannot process an award until you are admitted to UT Dallas. It is recommended for you to submit the FAFSA and all paperwork at least two weeks before the deadline. Students should also check their "To Do List" through Orion Self-Service for any outstanding documents.
New Student Financial Aid Priority Processing Deadlines:
Spring 2017 - October 15, 2016
Fall 2017 - March 15, 2017
The priority deadline for the TEXAS Grant and the Texas Top 10 Percent Scholarship is March 15.
Students who do not meet the priority deadlines indicated above risk not being considered for financial aid programs that are subject to annual appropriations. You will still be considered for the Federal Pell Grant, the Federal Direct Stafford Loan and for dependent students, the Federal Direct PLUS Loan.
Students may still complete a FAFSA or TASFA if you do not meet the priority deadline. However, FAFSA and TASFA applications must be applications must be submitted at least three weeks before the end of the term in which you are enrolled to allow time for processing.
For more information, contact your Financial Aid counselor.
View the Fall 2015 Transfer Orientation Slideshow (pdf, 125MB).