Eligibility for Financial Aid

When you receive financial aid at UT Dallas you assume certain rights and responsibilities.

To be eligible for federal financial aid you must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Be registered with Selective Service (if required)
  • Have financial need as determined by the FAFSA (except for Federal TEACH Grant; unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan or PLUS loans)
  • Be admitted to a degree seeking program at UT Dallas*
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress towards your degree
  • Not be in default on a federal loan or owe a refund or repayment of a federal grant.
  • Meet Financial Aid enrollment requirements. With the exception of the Federal Pell Grant, students must be enrolled at least half-time for financial aid eligibility. For undergraduate students, half-time for financial aid purposes is at least 6 SCH in the fall, spring, and summer term. For graduate students, half-time for financial aid purposes is at least 5 SCH in the fall and spring term and at least 3 SCH in the summer term. To be considered for financial aid eligibility, the classes taken must be required for you to complete your degree. The Office of Financial Aid considers a student to be registered for a class when the student is registered on the Census Date for the full-term session. This date can be found on the Academic Calendar.
  • Please see Types of Financial Aid for further details regarding eligibility requirements specific to programs.

If you do not meet federal eligibility requirements regarding citizenship, but have been classified as a Texas resident and are therefore eligible to pay the Texas in-state tuition rate, you may still be eligible for state or institutional aid. You should submit a Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA), which can be downloaded and printed from our forms page.

The federal Pell Grant program is limited to six years of full-time enrollment, or its equivalent. You can check how much Pell Grant eligibility you have used by visiting nslds.ed.gov..

* Non-degree seeking students are not eligible for financial aid. An exception to this rule are post-baccalaureate students seeking certification as a elementary or secondary school teacher. In this case the otherwise eligible student may receive federal student loans for classes required for teacher certification.







Updated: September 19, 2011