COMD Programs: What Should I be Aware of?
Two different specialists may approach the same child and the same disorder from a different perspective. It is important to find the right match for your child, and family goals and values. Not all therapists within the same field practice the same way. Make sure your expectations match the kind of therapy your therapist practices. Share your expectations with your therapist.
- There are many commercial programs available.
- They can be used in isolation or as one “tool” in a therapist’s “toolbox.”
- Certification required by the developer of the program is no guarantee of quality.
The Program Says it is “Based on Research,” But is it?
The problem may be in how the word “research” is defined. Knowing this will help you make more informed choices for your child.
- Programs that are “one size fits all” for a wide variety of disorders or challenges.
- When it says “based on brain research” (More information on research)
- It costs a lot of money up front or requires a binding contract.
- When they cannot tell you what reasonable gains to expect.
- If the demands at home or for follow-up are very difficult to
- If it seems too good to be true.
- If the program only works if you buy a product from that one person
Some Programs are Expensive!
- Know what you are getting.
- Know who is providing the program and what their credentials are.
- Know why! Is this the best way to reach your goal?
Finding the Right Treatment
Understanding Research-Based Therapy
Programs in the DFW Area
Definitions of Child Language Disorders