What is Time and Labor?
Time and Labor is a web-based PeopleSoft application that allows employees to report working hours and leave directly into the system using the Employee Self Service timesheet. This new process:
- Replaces paper timesheets and Payroll spreadsheets
- Allows the employee to report time from anywhere
- Integrates with Absence Management to track Sick and Vacation requests and balances
- Calculates and tracks overtime
- Tracks miscellaneous leaves (i.e. Jury Duty, Bereavement, etc.)
- Uses an automated workflow for Manager approval of reported time
Campus implementation of Time and Labor is underway. As implementation continues, we will continue to add updates and further information to our website. Please review the basics of Time and Labor below, and view the Training section for additional resources.
How do I know what type of time reporter I am?
- Enters time into online timesheet accurately and timely
- Approves direct report’s timesheet
- Can enter on behalf of the employee
- Backup Approver
- Can enter and approve anyone in the department
- Payable Approver
- Second level of approval
- Approves Comp Time payouts only
- Time Administrator
- Can enter time but cannot approve
- Checks for saved/unapproved time
- Ensures department complies with Payroll deadlines
- Ensures new employees receive training
- Coordinates security needs with Payroll
- Maintains manager reporting structure and job title nicknames
- Liaison between department and Payroll for updates and other communications
Monthly Exempt time reporters:
- Not eligible for Overtime
- Only responsible for reporting exceptions to their schedule (i.e. sick, vacation, jury duty, military leave, etc.)
Monthly Non-Exempt time reporters:
- Eligible for Overtime/Comp Time
- Report IN / MEAL OUT / IN / OUT of working hours per day
- Report absence (i.e. sick, vacation, jury duty, bereavement, etc.)
- Timesheet calculates “Punch Total” for hours worked
- Overtime/Comp Time is calculated from sum of “Punch Totals” per work week (Sun – Sat)
Semi-monthly time reporters:
- Paid based on hours worked (ex: student workers or temporary workers)
- Automatically paid Overtime
- Only report IN/OUT times per day or per shift
- Timesheet produces “Punch Total” based on IN/OUT times (no manual calculations needed)
Departments have the option of having their semi-monthly time reporters enter time manually into the timesheet, or they can use the Web Clock:
- Employee logs into Galaxy and chooses to punch IN or OUT
- System collects punch and feeds into timesheet
- Manager will see no difference between self-reporters and Web Clock users
- Employee can view their timesheet but cannot modify the punches
Absence Management is the PeopleSoft module that handles absence processing for employee accruals and absences for eligible and enrolled employees. Absence is configured to calculate based on State of Texas rules for eligibility, accrual rates, and annual vacation carryover limits.
Through Employee Self-Service, employees are able to monitor their balances and request vacation and/or sick leave online. Through Manager Self-Service, direct supervisors are able to monitor their direct reports’ balances, respond to vacation/sick leave requests, and view an overall calendar of scheduled absences.
Have a question regarding Time and Labor? Find the answer on askYODA!
For immediate assistance, contact the Payroll Office: