Nominations Sought for Annual Diversity Awards
Nominations are being sought for the 2010-11 Diversity Awards. Coordinated by the Office of Diversity and Community Engagement with the support of departments from across campus, the awards celebrate excellence in diversity from each population of the UT Dallas community: faculty, staff and students.
“We are fortunate to have such a positive environment of acceptance and inclusion within the UT Dallas community,” said Dr. Magaly Spector, vice president for diversity and community engagement. “This is a time for each of us to look around and honor our many peers, colleagues and students for their spirit and their efforts to continually foster this special environment.”
New to this nomination cycle is the Teaching Award for Inclusive Excellence, which specifically recognizes a UT Dallas faculty member for fostering a culture of openness and mutual respect in the classroom. Other award categories include:
- Faculty Diversity Award.
- Staff Diversity Award.
- Student Diversity Scholarship Award, which is accompanied by a $1,000 University scholarship to be used toward tuition, fees or books.
All nominations are due by 5 p.m., Tuesday, March 15, to the Office of Diversity and Community Engagement. For more information, contact Rosie Peterson, director of institutional initiatives, at 972-883-4560.
This is the second award cycle. Inaugural Diversity Award recipients include:
- AT&T Foundation, Corporate Diversity Award.
- Elizabeth Barta (BS ’10), Student Diversity Award.
- Deidra Ellington, assistant director of recruiting, School of Management, Staff Diversity Award.
- Dr. David Ford, professor of management, Lifetime Diversity Champion Award.
- Dr. Ming Dong Gu, director of the Confucius Institute, International Diversity Champion.
- Dr. Rodolfo Hernandez Guerrero, director of the Center for U.S.–Mexico Studies, International Diversity Champion.
- Dr. Abby Kratz, associate provost, Lifetime Achievement – Lifetime Diversity Champion Award.
- LGBT Education, Engagement and Programming (LEEP) – Special Group Recognition Award.
- Dr. Betty Pace, Sickle Cell Disease Research Center at UT Dallas, Lifetime Diversity Champion Award.
- The Texas Instruments Women’s Initiatives and Verizon Foundation, Special Recognition of Corporate Diversity Partners.
UT Dallas recognized its first Diversity Award honorees in 2010.
Fundraising Gala Set for April 16
Diversity Award honorees will be celebrated at the Diversity Gala and Scholarship Fundraiser, to be held April 16 in the Student Union Galaxy Rooms. The event will this year place particular emphasis on those aided by gala proceeds – the UT Dallas students who receive scholarships from the Office of Diversity and Community Engagement. Five students received scholarship support as a result of the inaugural gala. To purchase tickets, table sponsorships or to make a gift in support of diversity scholarships, visit the event ticket website.
Media Contact: The Office of Media Relations, UT Dallas, (972) 883-2155, [email protected].