Inclement Weather, Emergency Closing Procedures at UT Dallas
Snow and ice coated much of the Dallas-Fort Worth area in 2013, forcing The University of Texas at Dallas to close for a handful of days.
With the winter season approaching, the campus community is asked to make note of the best ways to stay informed if inclement weather or other events require changes in campus schedules.
The University of Texas at Dallas is open for normal business operations and instructional activities unless indicated otherwise on the University's home page. Employees and students are expected to exercise judgment regarding their ability to travel safely to campus when inclement weather is in the area. They are not expected to place travel for work or class attendance above considerations for individual health and safety.
When closure is necessary:
If conditions necessitate closure, every effort will be made to have this information posted on University-controlled sites no later than 6 a.m. UT Dallas will:
- Post closure information on the University website — utdallas.edu.
- Post an announcement on UT Dallas’ official Facebook page — facebook.com/utdallas.
- Tweet via the UT Dallas official Twitter channel — twitter.com/ut_dallas.
- Send an announcement via UTDAlert system, triggering a text message to all registered cellphone numbers and an email to all students, faculty and staff.
- Inform local media outlets.
The official and authoritative sources of closure information are the University home page and UTDAlert messages that members of the campus community should automatically receive. If you are not receiving messages during tests conducted the first Wednesday of every month at noon, please log in to Galaxy and update your cellphone number. When you are updating your cellphone number in Galaxy, make sure it’s correctly added to the field labeled “Mobile.”
Local media are helpful and will be notified, but are not the primary source of such information.
The UT Dallas Callier Center for Communication Disorders and the Center for Vital Longevity (Dallas campuses) may have different closure situations than the main campus in Richardson. Check for voice message advisories at the following numbers:
- UT Dallas Callier Center (214) 905-3000. Also see the Callier Center's home page.
- UT Dallas Center for Vital Longevity, (972) 883-3200. Also, see the center's website for daily updates. Additionally, updates are posted through its Twitter and Facebook.
- The University's Center for BrainHealth in Dallas will follow the University's schedule.
UT Dallas students attending classes at the Collin Higher Education Center (CHEC) should check the Collin College home page for updates regarding whether Collin College, and by extension CHEC, are closed due to threatening weather.
UT Dallas employees — whether exempt or non-exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act — who choose not to report for work when the University is open and inclement weather impedes travel may elect to use vacation time. Those employees who are considered non-exempt may use available vacation time or comp time. Employees may also coordinate an alternate work schedule for the time missed during that work week in lieu of using vacation or comp time. Such arrangements should be coordinated with and approved by the supervisor.
Students who choose not to report for class when the University is open and inclement weather impedes travel must make up their absences in the manner prescribed by their instructors in the class syllabi or as announced for the entire University.
Media Contact: The Office of Media Relations, UT Dallas, (972) 883-2155, [email protected].