What are Living Learning Communities?
A Living Learning Community (LLC) is a concept based on the idea that learning takes place beyond the classroom. The program provides students the opportunity to enroll in shared courses, connect with faculty and staff, and participate in group activities.
How do students apply?
Students apply to an LLC via their housing application, and students must self-select a community. First year communities are filled on a first-come, first-served basis. Non-first year communities are filled based on an application and selection process.
What are students required to do as part of the LLC?
Students must live in the designated LLC residence halls or apartments, enroll in the required classes and participate in LLC programming/events.
What communities are available?
- Arts and Technology
- Computer Science
- Social Sciences
- Women in STEAM
How do faculty benefit?
- Sharing personal or professional passions.
- Helping to recruit and retain students in their discipline.
- Engaging with students who have a greater tendency to outperform peers.
How do students benefit?
- Make friends easier.
- Participate in customized programming.
- Enroll in specialized coursework.
- Interact with faculty outside of the classroom.
What types of events does LLC have?
- Formal receptions.
- Engineering Week.
- Tours of top-level animation/game companies in DFW.
- Health panels with current medical students.
- Dinners with faculty.
Why do colleges have LLCs?
- Increase retention rates.
- Provide a seamless learning environment.
- Promote a smoother transition to university life.
Major accomplishments of LLCs at UT Dallas:
- More than 100 faculty and staff members have participated in our programming.
- Established in 2006; more than 3,300 student participants to date.
- UT Dallas students have completed more than 13,000 hours of service to the community via LLCs.
How can I get involved? What are the time commitments?
- Time commitments vary per faculty member. Some contribute several hours monthly, and some attend one event per year. The decision is yours!
- Past LLC events and estimated time commitments:
|Move-in||Greet students and families||1 hour|
|First Dinner||Have dinner with residence hall students||2 hours|
|Homecoming Float Building||Help with design; encourage students to participate||2-4 hours|
|Industry Tours||Attend an off-site industry tour with students||4 hours|
|Informational Tables||Man information table and meet with students informally to educate them about your services||2 hours|
|Formal Dinners||Attend formal dinners with students; educate them about opportunities; teach networking||2 hours|
|Study Sessions||Offer study sessions prior to exams||2 hours|
|Game Nights||Spend time with students in a social capacity||2 hours|
|Advising/Office Hours||Utilize our faculty office to meet with students||1 hour|
|Hosting Faculty Coffee Hours||Spending time with students discussing your research, hobbies, etc.||1 hour|
Need more information?
Contact Mary Jane Partain at 972-883-7428 or [email protected].