Connecting Away From Campus
Off campus or remote access to McDermott Library’s electronic resources is limited to currently enrolled UTD students and current UTD faculty and staff.
Other reasons your login may have failed:
1. Running VPN on your PC can block access to proxied materials.
a)Turn off VPN before logging into the library’s proxy server.
b) Please try to login again.
2. You are not currently enrolled.
Solution: You need to register for a class in order to access these materials from off-campus.
3. Your Net ID was typed incorrectly.
Solution: Net ID is your User ID to login into any UTD computer resource. If you have forgotten your NetID, go to https://netid.utdallas.edu/ for instructions on how to retrieve it or to reset your password.
4. You get a message that pop-ups have been blocked.
Solution: Enable pop-ups for your session on this site. Many of the full-text articles are displayed in a pop-up.
5. Your browser must be enabled to accept cookies to establish a connection to some remote resources.
Solution: Be sure your browser supports cookies and is enabled to accept them.
6. You receive a prompt asking for a user ID or authorization and password when you try to access a title.
Solution: You may have bookmarked the web site or entered its URL rather than entering via the library’s description/linking page. Always link to a title from the Library home page or Online Catalog and NOT by bookmarking the website.
7. The maximum number of users from UTD who can search this resource at one time has been reached.
Solution: Please wait a few minutes and try again.
9. If the date is set incorrectly on your computer, you may not be able to connect to some web sites.
Solution: Set the date on your computer correctly. Check the documentation that came with your computer for instructions.
10. You are getting the following message after entering login and id info: “400 Bad Request. The HTTP request that was submitted is invalid or malformed.”
Solution: Some ISP acceleration software is known to cause this type of behavior (specifically NetZero’s HiSpeed software and Road Runner ISP high-speed DSL service). You may want to contact your ISP and tell them to take you off their ISP’s restricted access list. Alternatively, you can also contact us with the information listed below.
11. Turning off the IE8 Security Warning can keep it from displaying every time you login.
Solution: Set your Internet Explorer custom level Security options for the Internet to display Mixed Content:
- Open Tools and select Internet Options from the drop down menu;
- Select the Security Tab and click the Custom Level button;
- Scroll down to the Miscellaneous section and change Display mixed content to Enable.
12. You are not on the UTD campus, and this title is one that is only available to users on campus.
Solution: Please come to the library to access this resource.Page Last Updated: October 25, 2019