Accessibility Service Policy
Eugene McDermott Library offers a wide range of services for users with disabilities. However, we recognize that sometimes special assistance is needed to use some resources. To ensure staff availability, we encourage users to give advance notice to make full use of our services and resources.
Accessibility Office & Adaptive Technology
The Accessibility Office (MC 2.216) is available to UTD students, faculty, and staff with disabilities on a first come, first served basis. A UTD NetId is required to use the equipment.
Accessibility Office hardware includes:
- Dell OptiPlex computer, Microsoft Windows-enabled.
- TOPAZ desktop magnifier.
- SARA and PEARL scanners for converting book text to digital text for reading aloud. Converted books can be saved as TXT, MS Word, or audio files.
- Braille keyboard.
Adaptive Software includes:
- Open Book – via the PEARL scanner, converts book scans to digital text or audio files and reads text aloud.
- MAGIC – screen magnification software.
- JAWS – reads aloud and assists with navigating the computer environment (desktop, applications, and web pages).
- Dragon Naturally Speaking – allows the use of voice commands via microphone headset to navigate the computer environment and use applications.
Accessibility Office Room Use Rules
Appointment times for the Office are scheduled for 2-hour blocks. If no one is waiting to use the Office, the customer may continue working. If a user does not show up within 15 minutes of the appointment time, the Office will be made available to the next person.
The Accessibility Office is intended for studying and research purposes, not for group meetings. It can comfortably seat about 3 individuals. It contains 2 desks, one for the computer and accessibility equipment; another for studying, reading, or doing homework. The office features an automated door for wheelchair access.
For first-time use of the Accessibility Office, we ask that users schedule an appointment for a brief orientation (approximately 15 minutes) with one of the Accessibility Librarians listed below.
Photocopy and Printing Services
Services Desk staff are available to assist with the copying and printing of materials in the Copy Center. Copies can be paid using your Comet Card ($.06/side, B&W; $.25/side, color). Cash may be added to your Comet Card using the Add Value machine near the copiers.
Retrieval of Materials
Services Desk staff will retrieve physical materials (books, multimedia) upon request. If staffing permits, retrieval will be done immediately. Otherwise, we will strive to make items available within 24 hours.
Request for Accommodation
Any UTD student, staff, or faculty member who requires special accommodations beyond the services listed above should contact the Dean of Libraries, Dr. Ellen Safley ([email protected]), 972-883-2960.
Questions? Comments? Concerns?
For more information or to book an orientation to the Accessibility Office, contact one of the following Accessibility Librarians: