Optional Practical Training
Optional Practical Training (OPT) is a possible benefit of F-1 student status. Optional Practical Training (OPT) may be available to F-1 students after completing one year of full-time enrollment at a U.S. college or university in the academic year immediately preceding OPT. Students may request up to one year of OPT per educational level (ex: one bachelors = one educational level, two master's degrees = one educational level).
- OPT workshops are MANDATORY for all students applying for Post-Completion OPT. Students must attend either an in-person workshop, or complete an online session via eLearning if you have applied for graduation in the current semester.
- USCIS recently updated Form I-765 which is commonly used by F-1 students when applying for Optional Practical Training (OPT). USCIS has stated that as of Feb. 21, 2017 they will no longer accept previous versions of Form I-765. Please use the most recent version of Form I-765 when applying for OPT or other employment authorizations.
Spring 2017 graduatesApplication Dates:
Earliest date to submit OPT request to ISSO : Feb. 7, 2017
USCIS must receive application on or before : Jul. 7, 2017OPT Start/End Dates:
Earliest OPT start date a student can request : May 9, 2017
Latest OPT start date a student can request : Jul. 7, 2017
Summer 2017 graduatesApplication Dates:
Earliest date to submit OPT request to ISSO : May 12, 2017
USCIS must receive application on or before : Oct. 11, 2017OPT Start/End Dates :
Earliest OPT start date a student can request: Aug. 13, 2017
Latest OPT start date a student can request : Oct. 11, 2017
- Post Completion OPT Guide
- OPT workshop dates
- OPT eLearning workshop (only available to students who have applied for graduation)
- OPT workshop presentation slides
- OPT Reporting Resources
- ISSO forms
- Form I-765 Instructional Video
- OPT Packet Review Video
- Pre-Completion OPT - part-time work while continuing as a full-time student.
- Coursework Completion OPT - part-time or full-time work for students who are working on a thesis or dissertation.
- Post-Completion OPT - full-time work after graduation.
- H-1B Cap Gap Relief - between OPT and H-1B.
- 24-Month OPT Extension - OPT extension for students in certain degrees.