Off-Campus Employment

Curricular Practical Training

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is available to F-1 students after one year of full-time enrollment at a U.S. university and before completion of the minimum graduation requirements.

Optional Practical Training

F-1 students are eligible for up to one year of Optional Practical Training (OPT) per educational level. Types of OPT include:

To request for an extension, visit the OPT 17-Month Extension webpage.

Severe Economic Hardship

F-1 students can apply for a Severe Economic Hardship work authorization if they have been enrolled at a U.S. college for at least one year and have experienced unforeseen economic difficulty while studying in the United States.

Related Topics