Extension of Stay
F-1 students are required to complete their academic programs within an estimated period of time, as listed on their I-20s. If an F-1 student is not able to complete his or her program within this period of time, he/she may apply for an extension of stay.
- You must be currently maintaining status and making normal progress toward completing your educational objective.
- You must apply prior to the I-20 expiration date.
- You must meet one of the valid Immigration Service reasons for extension:
- Compelling academic reason such as a change of major, research topics or research complications.
- Documented medical reason such as hospitalization or prolonged illness.
NOTE: Academic probation, suspension, or Curricular Practical Training are not valid reasons for a program extension.
I-20 Extension Application Process
Submit the following to the International Student Services Office (ISSO):
- Program Extension Form - list the reason why you were unable to complete the program, courses remaining, and the length of extension requested. The form must be signed by your academic department head.
- An updated UT Dallas Financial Affidavit.
- Proof of funding for the period of extension. The amount required is listed on the extension form.
Processing time is five business days. The ISSO will send you an email when the extended I-20 is ready for pickup.