Information for Employers
Are you an Employer Interested in…
- Helping a student learn
- Extra help at your work site
- Trying out qualified personnel in a temporary arrangement
- Enthusiasm for new projects
Each semester qualified students work as interns for companies and organizations in the Dallas area and beyond.
To earn three credits in our program, a student works a minimum of 140 supervised hours during the semester at the internship site. In addition, the student works with a faculty supervisor preparing a paper or project that links theory to practice and links academic study with career goals.
For sponsors, interns can provide extra help for special or on-going projects and fresh insights and enthusiasm. Many sponsors were once interns themselves, and wish to give back to the academic and greater community.
Compensation to the students is not mandatory, but we suggest that for-profit organizations pay at least the minimum wage, according to FLSA regulations, and that all organizations reimburse for expenses.
Sites wishing to sponsor student interns fill out an “Internship Opportunity Form” kept on file in our office and Career Services. Students may select sites from the file to schedule interviews or find a site on their own. Be sure to file your site’s needs well before the beginning of the semester.
Examples of Interdisciplinary Studies Internship Areas:
Media (TV, Radio, etc.)
How Interns Are Supervised
- Site Supervisor
- Assigns work that develops professional skills
- Makes sure the student completes the work assignments satisfactorily
- Certifies that the work experience has been a learning experience that will contribute to the student’s career aspirations
- Internship Director
- Serves as supervising faculty
- Gives academic assignments (usually reading assignments, a journal, and written assignments requiring either library research or research at the work site)
- Decides on the grade for an internship, based on the student’s academic accomplishment and the site supervisor’s evaluation
- Certifies that the internship merits the hours of academic credit
- Handles problems. Meets with interns as a group for orientation and midterm to discuss assignments and career issues
The student and site supervisor are required to complete an evaluation of the internship experience.
If you have a Student Intern…