Welcome! This site is designed to allow UT Dallas staff, faculty and administrators to review and select appropriate PeopleSoft and related training opportunities.
Courses to take
The PeopleSoft Training Roles document outlines suggested courses for varying roles including Administrative Assistant, Business Officer, Supervisor, Faculty and Department Head. If you have other questions about the roles you may need to take, please contact a member of the PeopleSoft Training team or your Fiscal/Business Officer.
Note: The Intro to PeopleSoft-Orion, Financials, HR class is required for new Orion users.
All online course calendars show 8:00am for every day. This doesn’t matter. You can take this course anytime, anywhere.
Instructor Led Courses:
Click on the date/time of the class you want to take. Be sure to check the next month. Fill out the form and Submit.
- All Training Classes listed on this website are FREE to all faculty, staff and students.
- After registering for a class you should receive a confirmation email. Contact us if you do not.
- Classrooms vary by the class schedule. They are listed on the class registration calendar and in your confirmation email.
Return to top.
Intro to PeopleSoft – Orion, Financials, HR class
This is an instructor-led class for UT Dallas PeopleSoft users who may not be familiar with PeopleSoft applications. This class includes login, navigation, and using common buttons, icons and links found in PeopleSoft. Learn how to Create a Favorite, use the Lookup icon, conduct an Advanced Search and more. This 2 hour class is conducted twice a month and is also available as needed by contacting the Training Team.
Note: This class is required for new Orion users.
Return to top.
Advanced PeopleSoft – Putting It All Together class
This is an instructor-led class for users with a month’s experience on PeopleSoft. Learn how all the applications work together, short cuts on eProcurement and IDTs, and many Tips and Tricks; class discussions of concepts and best practices will be an important part of this class. This class is 2 hours.
Return to top.
All campus-wide, non-credit card purchases are made through eProcurement. Purchase using established vendors or suggest a vendor. Purchase everything from chemicals and equipment to office supplies.
- Punchout Catalog Guide – This job aid explains how to use the Punch-out Catalogs to shop for goods and services through eProcurement.
- Hosted Catalog Guide – This job aid explains how to use the Hosted Catalogs to shop for goods and services through eProcurement.
- eProcurement for Approvers – This job aid provides step-by-step directions for eProcurement Approvers. It explains how to approve or reject a cart.
- eProcurement for Shoppers – This job aid provides step-by-step directions on to use eProcurement to shop for goods and services. It also explains how to use forms such as Request a Check and Non-Catalog Orders.
- eProcurement for Requestors – This instructor-led class explains how to shop using Punch-out or Hosted Catalogs and apply accounting codes. It also covers how to use Document Search; review your user profile, locate forms (i.e., Non Catalog Order Form) and make changes to a cart; submit to a Cart to the approver. NOTE: Participants will need access to eProcurement for this class. Course length: 2 hours
- eProcurement Encumbrance Tool Guide – This job aid provides step-by-step directions on how to review encumbered transactions created in the eProcurement system.
- eProcurement Requestor – This instructor-led class includes all the topics in the eProcurement Shoppers class plus how to apply accounting codes and document searches for the eProcurement Requester. This class is 1.5 hours.
- eProcurement Shoppers – This instructor-led class explains how to use eProcurement to review your Profile, locate items to order, search using Punch-out or Hosted Catalog, use eProcurement Forms and to assign a cart to a Requester. This class is 1.5 hours.
Return to top.
PeopleSoft Financial Management courses (online and instructor-led) are your tools to explain to use Budgeting (Commitment Control), IDTs, Auto JEs, Billing, Reporting and Analytics and Account Reconciliation.
- PeopleSoft Financials Overview – This online presentation explains how PeopleSoft Financials is structured including an important discussion of the new Accounting Structure called Chart of Accounts. This presentation is 30 minutes.
- PeopleSoft IDT Journals – This hands-on class is for designated Administrative Assistants, Departmental Business Analysts and others responsible for initiating and managing an Interdepartmental Transfer Journal. This class is 1.5 hours.
- Budgets Lookup – This hands-on class is for designated for staff who need to search for Cost Center balances using Commitment Control, General Ledger Inquiry and Available Fund Balance. Hours: 1.5.
- Budget Journals – This hands-on class is for designated for staff who need to create Budget Transfer Journals or Budget Adjustment Journals. The class also reviews Budgets Overview page and setup. This class is 2 hours.
- Account Reconciliation for Beginners – This instructor-led class is intended for users who are new to Account Reconciliation and teaches how to view and reconcile monthly transactions using PeopleSoft. This class is 1.5 hours.
- Account Reconciliation for Experienced Users – This instructor-led class is intended for experienced Account Reconcilers & Approvers. The session provides hands-on access to your support team. It is expected that you have already used Account Reconciliation for a minimum 1 month prior to attending this session. This class is 1.5 hours.
- PeopleSoft General Ledger Inquiry – This hands-on class is for designated any UT Dallas staff, administrator or faculty needing to lookup a fund balance. You will learn how to setup the inquiry page, interpret the transactions retrieved and determine beginning and ending fund balances for a Cost Center. This class is 1.5 hours.
- PeopleSoft Billing – This hands-on class is for designated Administrative Assistants, Departmental Business Analysts and others responsible for billing outside customers.
Note: Prior approval is required to attend this class. Contact Greg Argueta to determine a need for this class. This class is 1.5 hours.
- Using Excel for Auto Journal Entries – This hands-on class is for designated UT Dallas staff responsible for internal billing between departments. Service Centers are especially encouraged to participate in this class. You will learn how to create and edit the Excel spreadsheet used to upload journal entries. This class is 1.5 hours.
Note: Prior approval is required to attend this class. Contact Virgilio Perez to determine if you need to attend this class and to get setup as an Excel AutoJE user.
Return to top.
PeopleSoft HR allows every employee to manage their own information through HR Employee Self-Service. The online courses cover specific topics, so that you can take them however, whenever and wherever you wish by downloading the files to your computer.
Online HCM Presentations
- PeopleSoft HCM Overview – This online presentation explains how PeopleSoft HCM is structured including an important section on HCM reporting. This presentation is 20 minutes.
Online Self-Service Presentations
- Benefits – Absence Balances
- Benefits – Benefits Summary
- Benefits – Dependent Coverages
- Benefits – Flexible Spending Acct – (this online function is not available to all employees at this time)
- Benefits – Life Event – (at this time, this online function has been turned off so your Benefits Representative may personally assist you)
- Payroll & Comp – Compensation History – (this online function is not available to all employees at this time)
- Payroll & Comp – Direct Deposits
- Payroll & Comp – Federal W-4 Tax – (this online function is not available to all employees at this time)
- Payroll & Comp – View Paychecks
- Personal Info – Maintain Addresses
- Personal Info – Maintain Emergency Contacts
- Personal Info – Maintain Phones – (a mobile phone type is required for UTD EMS)
- Personal Info – Marital Status – (at this time, this online function has been turned off so your Human Resources Representative may personally assist you)
- Personal Info – Name Change – (at this time, this online function has been turned off so your Human Resources Representative may personally assist you)
Instructor Led Courses
- Workforce Administration – This class is for UT Dallas PeopleSoft users who are Business Officers or Business Analysts. This class includes Personal Information and Job Information. Learn view, add or update Employee Biographical Information, find an Emergency Contact, view UT Dallas Job History and more. This class is conducted three times a month.
Return to top.
- Delivered OBIEE Reports – This is a General Reporting class for UTDallas PeopleSoft users who wish to access the Finance and Human Resources reports available through OBIEE. This class covers all 16 reports which include Monthly Transactions, Operating Cost Center Expenses and Global Employee View. Learn how to use the OBIEE Dashboard, use Prompts, Download a Report and more. This class is conducted three times a month.
Return to top.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know which training classes to take?
Your best source is your supervisor. However, a PeopleSoft Training Role document is available which outlines suggested courses for a variety of roles.
Is training required?
PeopleSoft training is always recommended. Training is required before security access can be given in Orion. The security of student information in Orion is protected by FERPA – the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of the Federal government.
What do I need to bring to training class?
It’s helpful to bring a red pen and highlighter. Note: No food or drink is allowed. A small water bottle – with a secure cap is allowed.
What is a Functional Lead?
Simply put: the person assigned a specific module (related portions) of an application and is responsible for ensuring appropriate security is granted and that the module is functioning correctly.
What is the distinction between Gemini and Orion?
Orion is the “personalized” name given to the Oracle PeopleSoft Enterprise Campus Solutions. It was implemented in 2008-2009. Gemini is the name given to the “twin” applications of PeopleSoft Financials and HCM, implemented at the same time in 2011. Trivia: Most universities personalize application names based on their mascot or colors.
What other training is available on campus besides PeopleSoft and Related Training?
Other training varies, but there are several ways to stay in-the-know. this HR training web page; the Comet Calendar; subscribe to the News and Events newsletter by sending an email to at email@example.com with the word “subscribe” in the subject field.
Where is the training classroom?
Classrooms can vary with each class. They are listed at the time you register and in your reminder. The interactive Campus Map is very helpful. Note: Classes start on time.
Who decides what access I can have in an application?
Your supervisor starts the process with listing your job responsibilities on a CAR form. The “data owner” determines what access is given based on the responsibilities listed. Always notify your supervisor if you don’t have access or the right access to perform your job responsibilities.
Why do the screens in PeopleSoft appear different all of a sudden?
The most common reason is that changes have been made to the application either by Information Resources or PeopleSoft. UT Dallas-IR makes changes (which affects only UT Dallas) in response to change requests by UT Dallas users and/or PeopleSoft makes changes (which affects all universities that use PS) in response to changes in government regulations or change requests by users. Less likely, you may have made a change to your computer or a customization in PeopleSoft and you were unaware of its affect.
Why does PeopleSoft lock up sometimes?
The most common cause is that you need to clear your cache. Every time you visit a web site, cache accumulates on your computer and can cause it to run slowly or lock up. You should set your Control Panel – Internet Options to “Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed”. Call the Help Desk at x2911 if you need help doing this. Less frequently, if you have already cleared cache, you may have to close your browser and log back in. Also, be alert to campus-wide email notifications of any larger issues.
Return to top.
Return to top.
If you have any questions regarding training (class registration, topics offered, changing or rescheduling a class, etc.), please contact the PeopleSoft training team members.
Return to top.