Insurance Requirement for International Students

The Board of Regents of The University of Texas System requires all international students holding F1, F2, J1, or J2 non-immigrant visas to have approved health insurance and repatriation/evacuation coverage while enrolled at any UT System institution.

Please note: Starting Fall 2015, H-visa holders, and any other visa types not listed above, are no longer considered international students for insurance purposes. H-visa holders are still eligible for insurance and may enroll in coverage as domestic students. Please visit Get Insurance for more information.

This requirement applies to you if you are not a:

  • U.S. citizen
  • Lawful U.S. permanent resident
  • Asylee
  • Refugee
  • Undocumented alien

International students are automatically enrolled in UT SHIP each semester, and the fee is charged to their student account.


The Student Health Insurance office issues waivers for international students who meet established eligibility criteria and prove they have comparable coverage that meets the UT System requirement.