If you experience a “qualifying life event” (QLE) per IRS guidelines, you can make changes to your benefits outside the Annual Enrollment period. QLEs are time-sensitive and need to be reported within 31-days via your My UT Benefits retiree portal online.
If you do not report your life event within the 31-day window, your next opportunity to make changes to your benefits will be during Annual Enrollment in July, to be effective the following September 1.
Please keep in mind that in order to complete your change of status request, you will be required to upload the following documents:
- Documentation that supports your change of status (such as a court order or decree)
- Proof of Relationship Documents that support any added dependents (such as a birth or marriage certificate)
The list below includes common examples of qualified change of status events:
- marriage, divorce, annulment, or spouse’s death;
- birth, adoption, medical child-support order, or dependent’s death;
- significant change in residence if the change affects you or your dependents’ current plan eligibility;
- change of job status affecting eligibility (e.g. for employees: from non-benefits eligible part-time tofull-time, starting or ending employment, starting or returning from FMLA, or other);
- change in dependent’s eligibility (e.g. reaching age 26, or gaining or losing eligibility for any other reason);
- significant change in coverage or cost of other benefit plans available to you and your family;
- dependent(s) with a loss of insurance coverage under the Medicaid or CHIP program as a result of loss ofeligibility of either the employee or the dependent; or
- dependent becomes eligible for a premium assistance subsidy under Medicaid or CHIP.
My UT Benefits for Retirees
You can login to your My UT Benefits retiree portal to report your life event online. If you are logging in for the first time, you will use the following credentials to access your benefits:Username:
- UTD + (9-digit campus ID)
- Example: UTD123456789
- Your last name (first letter capitalized) + last 4 digits of your social security number
- Example: Smith1234