Mandatory Tuberculosis Screening
Tuberculosis (TB) screening is required for all persons born outside the United
regardless of the status of their application.
- Screening for TB must be administered, regardless of prior BCG vaccination, no
than six months prior to the first day of class.
- The only acceptable TB screening option for international students registering
classes is the Interferon Gamma Release Assay (IGRA) blood test (T-Spot).
- The T-Spot test must be administered and interpreted in the United States by a
licensed medical provider.
- International students who do not complete a TB screening or who do not submit
appropriate documentation will not be allowed to register for classes.
- Please bring a picture ID: passport, driver's license or state ID.
- Being granted the resident tuition rate does not exempt an international student
from this requirement.
T-Spot Test from the Student Health Center
T SPOT (TB Screening) Blood Test
The T-Spot test is available on-campus through the Student Health Center for $75. This
fee will be applied to your student account. You will pay the fee when you pay other
charges you may owe the University after you register for classes. If you receive the
T-Spot test prior to the semester for which you will be attending UT Dallas, you will be
responsible for the charges the same day you receive your test.
If you have questions, please call the Student Health Center at 972-883-2747.
Scheduling a T-SPOT (TB Screening) Blood Test
- If you are a new international student, please contact the Student Health Center to
make an appointment for the T-spot test.
Before the Test
- Be sure you eat before you are tested.
- Make sure you are hydrated; drink lots of water on the day of your test.
- Let the medical provider know if you are allergic to latex.
Your TB hold will be released by 8:00 a.m. the following day after the T-Spot (TB
screening) test has been administered. At this time you will be able to register for
classes. Results of the T-Spot test will be available 4 business days after the test
If your T-Spot result is positive, you will be contacted by the Student
Health Center. A hold will be placed on your student account until you follow up
with the Student Health Center and have received the additional required
testing/screenings. During this time, you will not be allowed to continue attending
your classes. Failure to comply may result in disciplinary action. The hold may
prevent you from registering for future classes, receiving your grades, and possibly
receiving your degree.
T-Spot Test from an Off-Campus Provider
You may also choose to have your T-Spot test administered by an off-campus licensed
medical provider and submit the appropriate documentation to the Student Health Center.
Call ahead to be sure the clinic offers the required T-Spot test. Costs may vary by
provider. See Off-Campus Testing
The Student Health Center accepts paper copies, faxes, scanned or emailed TB screening
results. Have your physician complete the Off-campus TB Screening Form
and do not alter or change the form in any way. Students who submit false or fraudulent
information will be subject to disciplinary action.
If the T-Spot test is administered and interpreted by an off-campus medical provider,
documentation must be submitted to the Student Health Center before you will be allowed
to register for classes.
All documentation must be submitted in English and signed
licensed medical provider.