National Pan-Hellenic Council

The National Pan-Hellenic Council organizations are historically African-American, however they are open to men and women of all races. The UT Dallas chapter of the National Pan-Hellenic Council was chartered on November 11, 2001. Membership in an NPHC organization is selective and is a life-long commitment that continues long after your collegiate career. NPHC has graduate/alumni chapters nationwide that you may affiliate with upon graduating.

Interest meetings for each organization vary throughout the fall and spring semester.

Recruitment

Join NPHC Today
 

 

 

 

National Pan-Hellenic Council fraternities and sororities recruit new members throughout the membership intake process. The NPHC Showcase is an event which introduces the various Chapters on our campus.

For more information, contact julie.murphy@utdallas.edu

Documents

Bylaws and Constitution
Shared standards
Guidelines for Conducting New Member Intake
New Member Compliance Form

NPHC Officers

President

CJ Phillips

successat06@gmail.com

Vice President

Erica Powell

muck05@yahoo.com

Treasurer

Xavian Bess

xbessmoore@gmail.com

Parliamentarian

Latoya Mitchell

Mitchell_latoya13@yahoo.com

 

Chaplin

Sharmayne Ford

sford_2010@hotmail.com

Secretary

Brittanie Gray

Brittanie1908@gmail.com

     


Nationally

The National Pan-Hellenic Council, Incorporated (NPHC) is currently composed of nine (9) International Greek-lettered Sororities and Fraternities: Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc., Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc., Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc., Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority, Inc., Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc., and Omega Phi Psi Fraternity, Inc. NPHC promotes interaction through forums, meetings and other mediums for the exchange of information and engages in cooperative programming and initiatives through various activities and functions.

On May 10, 1930, on the campus of Howard University, in Washington DC, the National Pan-Hellenic Council was formed as a permanent organization with the following charter members: Omega Psi Phi and Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternities, and Alpha Kappa Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta and Zeta Phi Beta Sororities. In 1931, Alpha Phi Alpha and Phi Beta Sigma Fraternities joined the Council. Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority joined in 1937 and Iota Phi Theta Fraternity completed the list of member organizations in 1997.

The stated purpose and mission of the organization in 1930 was “Unanimity of thought and action as far as possible in the conduct of Greek letter collegiate fraternities and sororities, and to consider problems of mutual interest to its member organizations.” Early in 1937, the organization was incorporated under the laws of the State of Illinois and became known as “The National Pan-Hellenic Council, Incorporated.”

  Photobucket
  Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.
Founded Jan. 15, 1908
Howard University
Dec. 4, 1906
Cornell University
Jan. 13, 1913
Howard University
Jan. 16, 1920
Howard University
UT Dallas
Chapter Founded
Dec. 8, 2001 May 3, 2003 Mar. 29, 1996  
Colors Salmon Pink & Apple Green Black & Old Gold Crimson & Cream Royal Blue & Pure White
Symbols Pearls & Ivy The Sphinx Fortitude, Pyramid, & Elephants Dove, Cat, & White Rose
National Website Alpha Kappa Alpha Alphi Phi Alpha Delta Sigma Theta Zeta Phi Beta
National Pan-Hellenic Chapter

Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated

The Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated was founded on January 15, 1908, on the campus of Howard University in Washington, D.C. by
nine most gracious ladies. From its inception over 100 years ago, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. has been dedicated to "service to all mankind." The leadership of the sorority has always established service that responds to the needs and concerns of the nation's youth and disadvantaged.

Throughout the years, Alpha Kappa Alpha’s chief aim has been “service to all mankind.” However, there has always remained the constant purpose to cultivate and encourage high scholastic and ethical standards, to promote unity and friendship among college women, to improve the social
structure of the race, and keep an interest in college life alive within the alumnae.

Today, the international membership of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. is well over 200,000 college-educated women. Internationally, there are
over 860 chapters located in areas such as West Africa, the United Kingdom, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Korea, Germany, and the Bahamas.

Some notable women of Alpha Kappa Alpha are:
Dr. Mae Jemison, Rosa Parks, Maya Angelou, Coretta Scott King, Jada Pinkett-Smith, Star Jones, Ella Fitzgerald, and the list goes on.

The Sigma Kappa Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority was chartered in 2001 at UTD.

Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Incorporated

Since its founding on December 4, 1906, Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Incorporated has supplied voice and vision to the struggle of African-Americans and people of color around the world. Alpha Phi Alpha, the first intercollegiate Greek-letter fraternity established for African Americans, was founded at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York by seven college men who recognized the need for a strong bond of Brotherhood among African descendants in this country. These men also understood the racism, discrimination, and prejudice that plagued African Americans, and sought this special bond as a source of support for one another. The visionary founders, known as the "Jewels" undertook the immensely daring task of forging this organization which is now international and 185,000 brothers strong.


Alpha Phi Alpha has long stood at the forefront of the African-American community's fight for civil rights through leaders such as Hill Harper, Kevin Powell, Stuart Scott, Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Thurgood Marshall, Andrew Young, William Gray, Mike Powell, and many others. To this day Alpha is still leading the way in fighting for positive national and global change. On the international level, the fraternity has recently constructed the World Policy Council in order to lobby on Capital Hill on behalf of African Americans and people of color worldwide.

The Tau Xi Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity was chartered in 2003 at UTD.

Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated

Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated was founded January 16, 1920 on the campus of Howard University in Washington, D.C. by five co-eds: Arizona Cleaver Stemmons, Myrtle Tyler Faithful, Viola Tyler Goings, Fannie Pettie Watts, and Pearl Anna Neal. These women dared to depart from the traditional coalitions for Black women and sought to establish a new organization predicated on the ideals of Scholarship, Service, Sisterly Love and Finer Womanhood. For more than eighty years, the trail blazed by these illustrious women has been traversed by thousands of women dedicated to the objectives and ideals established by the Five Pearls of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.

Since its inception, the Sorority has expanded to encompass more than 800 plus chapters around the world, including locations in the Caribbean Islands, West Africa, and Germany. There are over 125,000+ College-educated, dynamic, community service driven, diverse and professional women in Zeta Phi Beta.

In addition to its international presence, the Sorority has established several firsts for historically Black Greek Lettered Organizations (BGLOs). Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. was the first to charter a chapter in Africa; to centralize its operations in a national headquarters; to form adult and youth auxiliary groups--the Amicae, Archonettes, Amicettes, and Pearlettes; and to be constitutionally bound to a brother fraternity, Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Incorporated. Notable alumnae are: Janet Dubois, Dionne Warwick, Zora Neale Hurston, Sheryl Underwood, Deobrah Wolfe, Ph.D., and Rear Admiral Evelyn J. Fields

Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated

Twenty-two young women desiring to use their collective strength to promote academic excellence and to provide assistance to those in need founded Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. in 1913 on the campus of Howard University.

Delta Sigma Theta is a private, non-profit organization whose purpose is to provide services and programs to advance the well being of humankind. This is exemplified by the national agenda known as the Five Point Thrust: Economic Development, Educational Development, International Awareness and Involvement, Physical and Mental Health, Political Awareness and Involvement. A sisterhood of more than 200,000 predominately Black college educated women, the Sorority currently has over 900 chapters located in the United States, England, Japan, Germany, the Virgin Islands, Bermuda, the Bahamas and the Republic of Korea. The National Headquarters is located in Washington, D.C.

Notable alumnae include: Osceola Macarthy Adams, Judith Jamison, Brigadier General Hazel Johnson Brown, Ph.D., Selma Burke, Ph.D., Lena Horne, and Barbara Jordan, who served one day as acting Governor of Texas on June 10, 1970.

The Sigma Mu Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority was chartered in 1996 at UT Dallas. The chapter was reactivated after a few years of not taking any new members in Spring 2012.

 

History

On May 10, 1930, on the campus of Howard University, in Washington DC, the National Pan-Hellenic Council was formed as a permanent organization with the following charter members: Omega Psi Phi and Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternities, and Alpha Kappa Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta and Zeta Phi Beta Sororities. In 1931, Alpha Phi Alpha and Phi Beta Sigma Fraternities joined the Council. Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority joined
in 1937 and Iota Phi Theta Fraternity completed the list of member organizations in 1997.

The stated purpose and mission of the organization in 1930 was “Unanimity of thought and action as far as possible in the conduct of Greek letter collegiate fraternities and sororities, and to consider problems of mutual interest to its member organizations.” Early in 1937, the organization was incorporated under the laws of the State of Illinois and became known as “The National Pan-Hellenic Council, Incorporated."