So you’re ready to begin planning your event. First, fill out the pre-planning checklist and have it ready when you begin to make your preparations. With your checklist handy, go down the following list to see what you need to do next.
The very first thing you should do is check room availability and reserve the space for your event.
Read the publicity tip sheet prepared by the Office of Communications.
It’s also a good idea to have the room cleaned before your event begins.
Notify the Office of Environmental Health and Safety about your event, especially if you are hosting a large group of people who are unfamiliar with campus.
After that, there are a series of ‘ifs’ to consider:
- If you need tables or chairs set up, submit a work request to Facilities Management.
- If you need catering, submit a request to Food Services.
- If you need audio/visual equipment, submit an equipment request to Media Services.
- If you are teleconferencing or need video taping/editing, contact Media Services.
- If you need invitations, fliers, or nametags printed up, contact Printing Services.
- If your event is outside of normal university hours (8 a.m. – 10 p.m. weekdays, 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. Saturdays):
- If your guests will be parking on campus, you may need to make special arrangements to accomodate them.