Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Who is eligible for counseling services?

The Student Counseling Center is available to UT Dallas students who are enrolled in the current semester (Excludes students who are only enrolled in online courses).

Is there a charge for counseling services?

Services are offered at no charge to currently enrolled students (Excludes students who are only enrolled in online courses).

Will my parents know if I am receiving services?

If you are 18 or older, your parents will not have access to your records, nor will the Student Counseling Center confirm or deny that you are a client. If you are under 18, you must get permission from your parent(s) or legal guardian(s) to receive services unless you meet specific criteria. Parent(s) or legal guardian(s) can have access to your records upon request until you turn 18.

Will my privacy be protected?

Laws and ethical guidelines require that all interactions with the Student Counseling Center, including content of your sessions, your records, scheduling of or attendance at appointments, and progress in counseling are confidential. No record of counseling is contained in any academic, educational or job placement file. While information will not be released to anyone outside the Student Counseling Center without your written permission, in order to provide you with the best possible treatment, we may confer with clinical professionals within the UT Dallas Student Counseling Center.

There are some exceptions to confidentiality. Specifically, we are legally required to disclose information to:

  • Protect you or someone else from imminent danger (suicide or homicide)
  • Report suspected abuse of minors, the elderly, or persons with disabilities
  • Respond to a court subpoena
  • If there is known or suspected sexual exploitation of a client by a past therapist

In any of these situations, your counselor would reveal only the information needed to resolve the immediate crisis or risk of danger. If your counselor believes you are in danger of hurting yourself or others, your counselor may contact appropriate medical and/or legal authorities.

How long do you keep my records on file?

As required by State law, the Student Counseling Center keeps client records on file for 7 years at which point they are destroyed.

What should I do in an emergency?

If you are having a mental health crisis, you are welcome to utilize our walk-in crisis times, Monday through Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Upon completion of paperwork, a counselor will review to determine if you meet our criteria for a same day appointment. If you are experiencing a mental health crisis outside of business hours, you may call the 972-UTD TALK (972-883-8255) 24 hours, 7 days a week to be connected to a Mental Health Professional over the phone.

How do I report troubling behavior of a student?

If you have concerns about another student and wish to report their behavior, you may contact the Dean of Students office at 972-883-6391. If you are concerned about the safety of a student who lives on campus, please contact the UT Dallas Police Department at 972-883-2222 to have them perform a welfare check. If the student does not live on campus, you may contact their local police department. Per department policy, the Student Counseling Center is unable to perform welfare checks on students.

How do I make an initial appointment?

New clients are required to complete registration forms in the Student Counseling Center before they can be scheduled. There is no appointment necessary to fill out the paperwork. However, we do ask that students arrive at least an hour before we close to do so.

What services does the Student Counseling Center provide?

The Student Counseling Center has a wide variety of services that can be prescribed as part of your individualized treatment plan. These services include:

  • Brief individual Counseling (1 to 6 sessions)
  • Single Session Counseling
  • Group Counseling
  • Couple Counseling
  • Healthy U Workshops
  • On and Off Campus Referrals
  • Psychiatric Services
  • Consultation

What can I expect during my Initial Evaluation?

During your first session, you will discuss your concerns and goals to assist both you and your counselor about how you can best be helped. At the conclusion of your initial evaluation, you will be prescribed an individualized treatment plan as listed above.

Am I eligible to receive counseling services over the summer if I am not enrolled?

Yes, if you meet the following criteria:

  • Must have been enrolled in the spring semester
  • Will be enrolled in the fall semester
  • Pay a one-time medical services fee of $34.40

If you are only taking online courses, you will need to meet the above criteria and pay the medical services fee.

Do you offer counseling services for alumni?

Our services are reserved for currently enrolled students at UT Dallas. However, we do have a Referral Coordinator on staff who can provide alumni with referrals in the community if needed.

How can I access community referrals if I am not able to get into the center during working hours?

You can call 972-883-2575 or email Shelly Turner, Counseling referral coordinator at [email protected] to receive community resources that you can access.

How can I better understand my insurance benefits?

You can call 972-883-2575 or email Shelly Turner, Counseling referral coordinator at [email protected] for education on understanding your insurance and how to use it.