Comet Card

Frequently Asked Questions

Who needs a Comet Card?

All students, staff, faculty and affiliates who use University services.

Do I have to use all of the features of the Comet Card?

No. All of the features, other than the ID portion, are optional.

What documentation do I need to get a Comet Card?

You need a government issued photo ID (USA driver's license, passport, etc.). Students need to wait at least 48 hours from when they registered for classes for the current or future semester and must bring a printout of their class schedule with their UTD ID#. (Exceptions may apply for students participating in freshmen orientation.) Staff and faculty need to request a card via the eCat system.

Is there a charge or fee for the Comet Card?

Your first Comet Card will be issued at no cost. There is a $20 fee for a replacement.

Where do I get my Comet Card?

Comet Cards are issued only at the Comet Center. The Comet Center is located in the second floor of the Student Union (north entrance).

Lost or Damaged Card

What if my Comet Card is lost or stolen?

Report the loss immediately to the Comet Center.

What if I find my lost Comet Card?

Before you can use the card, you must come to the Comet Center to have it reactivated. Reactivation requests cannot be taken by phone. If a new Comet Card has been issued, turn in the recovered card to the Comet Center. It is no longer valid.

What if my Comet Card is damaged?

An assessment will be made by the Comet Card Office to determine if a charge should be made for replacement.

What happens to my UTDollars account if my card is lost or stolen?

When the loss is reported the card is deactivated. The unauthorized use of your UTDollars is prohibited at that time. The University or the Comet Card Office is not responsible for any use of the account before the loss is reported. UTDollars balance is transferred when the card is replaced.


What is UTDollars?

UTDollars is an on-campus declining balance account used to pay for food, books, parking, health services, library fines, copying and printing and more.

Where can I make a deposit to a UTDollars account?

A UTDollars deposit may be made at the Comet Center or the Bursar Office by cash, check or charge (Visa, Master Card or Discover). You may also make a cash only deposit at the cash-to-card machines in the McDermott Library, or use our secure GET Portal for credit card online deposits.

Can I withdraw cash from my UTDollars account?

No. Cash withdrawals cannot be made from a UTDollars account at any time.

Can I close my UTDollars account and request a refund of the remaining balance?

A UTDollars account can only be closed when you are no longer affiliated with the University. A written request is required for a refund. If no money is owed to the University, a refund for the remaining balance will be issued to the address provided.

What if there is a balance in my UTDollars account at the end of the semester?

A balance in the account at the end of a semester will carry over to the next semester. However, unused UTDollar balances for 12 consecutive months will be forfeited to the University.

Where can I use my UTDollars?

UTDollars can be used for on and off campus purchases. Click here for locations.


How does a faculty or staff member acquire a Comet Card?

Simply fill out an eCat request. An official government photo ID is needed to receive a Comet Card.

Will the Comet Card pay tuition?

No. Tuition and mandatory fees cannot be paid by the Comet Card.

Can visitors to UT Dallas obtain a Comet Card?

Application for affiliates is available on the eCat system.

How can online/distance learning students receive a Comet Card?

Contact the Comet Card Office to request your ID. The Comet Card Office will verify your status and provide you with specific instructiions.