Duck Joo (D. J.) Yang, Ph.D.
Research and Interdisciplinary Programs
Nanoscience and Technology
Education and Experience
- B.S., Clark University, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa (1972): Chemistry
- Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley (1977): Physical Inorganic Chemistry
- Executive MBA, University of Pennsylvania (1982)
- Executive Vice President, Head of New Business Development, SAIT (Samsung Advanced Institute of Technology: Samsung Group Central R&D Institute (2000-2003)
- Vice President, CRO & Head of Chemical Sector, Samsung: SAIT (1997-2000)
- Director: Product/Sales/Marketing/Supply Chains Management, DuPont Automotive Products SBU (DuPont Asia Pacific/DuPont-Korea) (1995-1997)
- Project Manager, Semiconductor Materials Division, DuPont Electronics Materials SBU (Special Business Unit), Wilmington, DE (1993-1995)
- Marketing Manager, Semiconductor Materials Division, DuPont Electronics Materials SBU, Wilmington, DE (1992-1993)
- Technology Manager, Semiconductor Materials Division, DuPont Electronics Materials SBU, Wilmington, DE (1990-1992)
- Research Chemist at DuPont Experimental Station, and was promoted in various R&D and mfg positions as Senior Research Chemist, Research Associate & Project Team Leader in several DuPont Specialty Business Units (SBUs): Polymer Intermediates Department, Explosives Division, Finishes/Fabricated Products Dept, Automotive Products SBU and Electronics Materials SBU, DuPont-USA, Wilmington, DE (1978-1990)
- Nanotech Institute
- Executive member at the Institute of Innovation & Entrepreneurship in the School of Management at UT Dallas
- Adjunct Professor at School of Applied Chemical Engineering/Alan G. MacDiarmid Energy Research Institute at Chonnam National University, Korea
- Synthesis of vanadium oxide nanotubes & fibers (VNTs/VNFs) and its application for energy storage
- Composite electrode fabrication using VNTs with Graphene for supercapacitors /batteries
- Functionalization of graphene sheet
- New process development for composite CNT/Graphene fibers
- Synthesis of fluorescent carbon nanomaterials and its application
- Carbon fiber preparation from melt spinable polymers
- Eco-friendly process research of nano-materials synthesis
- Economical process development of biofuels: Conversion of non-edible cellulosics to bio-ethanol
- Immobilization of nano particles or bio-catalyst on substrate
- Hydrogen/CO2 storage material research using conductive polymer
- Proton Exchange Polymer fuel cell membrane development using PFCP
Mallikarjuna N. Nadagouda, Ishan Desai, Carlo Cruz and Duck J. Yang, “Novel Pd based catalyst for the removal of organic and emerging contaminants” RSC Advances , 2012, 2, 7540–7548.
Abdelaziz Rahy, Chen Chou, Jie Zheng, SY Park, Moon J. Kim and Duck J. Yang “Synthesis of Highly Fluorescent Carbon Nanoparticles” Carbon, 50, 1298-1302.
Jeliza S. Bonso, Abdelaziz Rahy, Sanjaya D. Perera, Nijem Nour, Oliver Seitz, Yves J. Chabal, Kenneth J. Balkus, Jr., John P. Ferraris and Duck J. Yang “Exfoliated graphite nanoplatelets-V2O5 nanotube composite electrodes for supercapacitor application” Journal of Power Sources, 203 (2012) 227-232.
Anjalee D. Liyanage, John P. Ferraris, Inga H. Musselman, Duck-Joo Yang, Theodore E. Andersson, David Y. Son, Kenneth J. Balkus Jr “Nafion-sulfonated dendrimer composite membranes for fuel cell applications” Journal of Membrane Science, 392-293, 2012, 175-180.
Abdelaziz Rahy; Touria Rguig; Sung June Cho; Christopher E Bunker and Duck Joo Yang, “Polar Solvent Soluble and Hydrogen Absorbing Polyaniline Nanofibers” Synthetic Metals, 161, 280-284, 2011.
Kwang Ho Lee, In Seong Choi, Young-Gyu Kim, Duck-Joo Yang and Hyeun-Jong Bae “Enhanced production of bioethanol and ultrastructural characteristics of reused Saccharomyces cerevisiae immobilized calcium alginate beads” Bioresource Technology, 102 , 17, 8191-8198, 2011.
- Kyung Hwan Lee, Hoon-Sik Jang, Gum Yong Eom, Byeong-Jun Lee, Dorothea Burk, Lawrence Overzet, Duck J. Yang and Gil S. Lee, “The enhanced growth of multi-walled carbon nanotubes using an atmospheric pressure plasma jet” Materials Letters, 62 (2008) 3849–3851
- Abdelaziz Rahy, Mohamed Sakrout, Sanjeev Manohar, Sung June Cho, John Ferraris, D. J. Yang, “Polyaniline Nanofibers Synthesis by Co-use of Ammonium Peroxydisulfate and Sodium Hypochlorite”, Chemistry of Materials, 2008; 20(15); 4808-4814
- Yang, Zhiwei; Coutinho, Decio H.; Yang, Duck-Joo; Balkus, Kenneth J.; Ferraris, John P. “Proton-conducting membranes based on HTFSI-doped PEI/SiO2 nanocomposites.” Journal of Membrane Science (2008), 313(1-2), 91-96.
- Kim DW, Lee JS, Lee GS, Aliev A, Overzet L, Yang, DJ., “Carbon Nanotubes based Methanol Sensor for Fuel Cells Application”, Journal of Nanoscience & Nanotechnology, Vol. 6, 1-6, 2006
- D. Coutinho, J.P. Ferraris, D.J. Yang, K.J. Balkus Jr “Transformation of Mesoporous Benzene Silica to Nanoporous Carbon”, Microporous & Mesoporous Materials, 91, 276-285, 2006
- Xinyu, Z., Lee, J.S., Lee, G.S., Yang, Duck. J., Manohar, S. K., “Synthesis of PEDOT Nanotubes” Macromolecules, 39(2), 470-472, 2006
- Bae, Jong Wook; Lee, Jae Sung; Lee, Kyung Hee; Lee, Byeongno; Yang, Duck Joo “A novel method of CCl4 Disposal by Disproportionation with CH4 over Pt on Various Supports”, Chemistry Letters, 2001, N3 (MAR 5), P264-265
- Lin, T. J.; Antonelli, J. A.; Yang, D. J.; Yasuda, H. K.; Wang, F. T., “Plasma treatment of automotive steel for corrosion protection - a dry energetic process for coatings”, Progress in Organic Coatings, 31, 351-361 (1997)
- Yasuda, H.; Chun, B. H.; Cho, D. L.; Lin, T. J.; Yang, D. J.; Antonelli, J. A. Morphology of phosphate layer investigated by vacuum depositing a parylene C film. Corrosion (Houston) (1996), 52(8), 584-591
- Yasuda, H.; Chun, B. H.; Cho, D. L.; Lin, T. J.; Yang, D. J.; Antonelli, J. A. Interface-engineered Parylene C coating for corrosion protection of cold-rolled steel. Corrosion (Houston) (1996), 52(3), 169-176
- Wang, Tinghao F.; Lin, T. J.; Yang, D. J.; Antonelli, J. A.; Yasuda, H. K. “Corrosion protection of cold-rolled steel by low temperature plasma interface engineering I. Enhancement of E-coat adhesion”, Progress in Organic Coatings, 28, 291-297 (1996)
- Burkett, S.L.; Charlson, E.M.; Charlson, E.J.; Yasuda, H.K.; Duck-Joo Yang, The effect of cleaning procedures on surface charging of various substrates Semiconductor Manufacturing, IEEE Transactions on, 1995, V8, N1 (FEB), P10-16
- F. S. Ohuchi T. J. Lin, J. A. Antonelli and D. J. Yang, “Preparation and in-situ characterization of polycarbosilane thin films by d.c. plasma-enhanced deposition”, Thin Solid Films, 245, 10-16 (1994)
- Lin, T. J.; Chun, B. H.; Yasuda, H. K.; Yang, D. J.; Antonelli, J. A., "Plasma polymerized organosilanes as interfacial modifiers in polymer-metal systems", Journal of Adhesion Science and Technology (1991), 5(10), 893-904
- Yang, Duck J.; Jolly, William L., Decarbonylation of 2-germaacetic acid in aqueous solutions. Inorganic Chemistry (1978), 17(3), 621-624
- Yang, Duck J.; Jolly, William L., A kinetic study of the hydrolysis of 2-germaacetate in neutral and alkaline solutions. Inorganic Chemistry (1977), 16(11), 2834-2837
- Yang, Duck J.; Jolly, William L.; O'Keefe, Anthony. Conversion of hydrous germanium (II) oxide to germynyl sesquioxide, (HGe)2O3, Inorganic Chemistry (1977), 16(11), 2980-2982
- Updated: December 10, 2012