Explore the WOW
Build Your Experience. Build Your Brand. Become an Extern!
A partnership between the UT Dallas University Career Center (UCC) and UT Dallas Alumni Relations, the Explore the World of Work (WoW) Program provides students with professional experiences in their chosen career fields. Undergraduate students are matched with UTD alumni and friends in a variety of careers across all industries and academic disciplines. Students will apply skills learned in the classroom in a structured and professional work environment without the long-term commitment of an internship or full-time job. The program is individualized and enhances the student’s education.
The Explore the WoW Program is traditionally held during the week of spring break. The next Extern Program takes place March 16 – 20, 2020. However, the University Career Center does support and facilitate other informal externships throughout the year so check with your Career Consultant about other unique opportunities.
Benefits received are invaluable. Not only will students gain real world career knowledge and experience, they will also expand their career network. Some students find their externship has led them to find a lifelong mentor, an internship, and even a full-time employment offer.
Possible externship/job shadowing activities
- Tour the facility/building
- Sit in on staff meetings
- Observe customer/client interactions, if applicable
- Conduct informational interviews with colleagues and/or key staff members
- Assist with projects or general office tasks
- Overview of company mission and procedures
- Visit with the Human Resources Department and/or meet with recruiters
- Introduce extern to a new employee to give him/her a “fresh perspective”
- Meet with UT Dallas Alumni who work at the organization
- Provide marketing materials about company/organization for student
- Demonstrate industry-specific software or tools
Eligibility to participate in the Explore the WoW Program, students must:
- Current undergraduate student
- Have earned at least 30 credit hours
- Be enrolled full-time at UTD during the application process and during the externship
- Complete an online application and UCC approved resume in Handshake
- Complete a screening interview with UCC staff
- Attend one of the mandatory externship orientation sessions
- Initiate and continue contact with sponsor prior to the externship
- Recommended: Have an overall 2.5 GPA (if you do not meet this, it must be addressed in your application letter)
Explore the WoW Timeline
- November 13, 2019: Registration and position listings available online for all students to apply
- December 4, 2019: Students can register for Spring Interest Session in Handshake
- January 8, 2020: Deadline for employers to submit externship opportunities
- January 13, 2020: Position listings available online for all students to apply on Handshake
- January 15, 2020: Explore the WoW Interest Session at 3:00 – 4:00 SSB 3.107
- January 24, 2020: Explore the WoW Interest Session at 3:30 - 4:30 SSB 3.107
- January 29, 2020: Explore the WoW Interest Session at 3:00 – 4:00 SSB 3.107
- February 5, 2020: Deadline for students to apply to externship opportunities on Handshake
- February 10 & 11, 2020: Mandatory student screening interview
- February 27 or 28, 2020: Attend a mandatory orientation session (if selected)
- March 16 – 20, 2020: Spring Break - Explore the WoW
- April 3, 2020: Post-externship evaluations are due for students and employers
- April 24, 2020: Employer Appreciation and Student Recognition Luncheon
For more information, contact the University Career Center or call us at 972-883-2943.