The internship program at The University of Texas at Dallas assists employers in identifying qualified students to fill various part or full-time internships.
This partnership among employers, the university, and students benefits to the students by allowing them to gain practical work experience related to their majors.
Internships can be for a single semester or multiple semesters, part-time or full-time, and paid or unpaid.
The Career Center has designed its internship program based on the National Association of Colleges and Employers’ definition of internship:
“An internship is a form of experiential learning that integrates knowledge and theory learned in the classroom with practical application and skills development in a professional setting. Internships give students the opportunity to gain valuable applied experience and make connections in professional fields they are considering for career paths; and give employers the opportunity to guide and evaluate talent.” [Source]
Students’ internships are designed to match their educational goals and career paths to provide them practical knowledge that reinforces their academic learning in selected workplaces. On-campus jobs that meet the internship program guidelines can also be considered for internship engagement.
The position must include academic components to be offered as an internship.
In order to be eligible for an internship at UT Dallas, students must (at a minimum):
- Be currently enrolled in a degree-seeking program.
- Be in good academic standing (2.0 GPA for undergraduates, 3.0 GPA for graduates).
- Have completed at least 1 semester at UT Dallas. In addition, undergraduate students must have at least 24 hours completed (including transfer hours) and graduate students must have at least 6 hours completed.
- Meet any additional requirements imposed by the academic department or school.
Employers can choose to determine additional eligibility requirements for each internship position as needed.
- Be sure to notify the UT Dallas Career Center when you extend an offer to one of our students and confirm the student's employment with you each subsequent semester.
- Let the UT Dallas Career Center know if you would like to set up on-campus interviews for your internship opportunities.
- Be sure to complete the Online Employer Evaluation for each student and conduct a performance review at the end of each semester.
If you are interested in beginning an internship partnership with UT Dallas or if you need assistance in implementing a new program, please email the Associate Director Career Services or call (972) 883-2943.