Assistant Professor

PhD, Michigan State University

Individual Differences in Interpersonal Relationships

GR 4.126

972-883-2346 phone

raa110030@utdallas.edu email

The Personality and Interpersonal Relationships (PAIR) Laboratory website

About Robert Ackerman

Dr. Robert A. Ackerman is an assistant professor in psychological sciences. Dr. Ackerman received his BA in psychology from Monmouth University in 2004, and he received his PhD in social and personality psychology from Michigan State University in 2011.

Research Interests

My research addresses questions about interpersonal relationships using methods and models from both social and personality psychology. It is characterized by three broad lines of work. First, I am interested in developmental factors that contribute to the functioning of adult romantic relationships. My second line of research focuses on how narcissistic attributes impact the development of relationships and how such attributes affect important relationship outcomes in ongoing relationships. Finally, because my substantive interests involve processes that occur within relationships and therefore often involve non-independent data, I am particularly interested in analytic models for both cross-sectional and longitudinal dyadic data.

Recent Publications

Ackerman, R. A., & Donnellan, M. B. (in press). Evaluating self-report measures of narcissistic entitlement. Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment.

Ackerman, R. A., Donnellan, M. B., & Robins, R. W. (2012). An item response theory analysis of the Narcissistic Personality Inventory. Journal of Personality Assessment, 94, 141-155.

Ackerman, R. A., Kashy, D. A., Donnellan, M. B., & Conger, R. D. (2011). Positive engagement behavior in observed family interactions: A social relations perspective. Journal of Family Psychology, 25, 719-730.

View more