Associate Professor

PhD, King's College London

Neurogenetics of Addictive Behavior

BH

972-883-3311 phone

fxf013100@utdallas.edu email

Filbey Lab website

Research Interests

My research interests are focused on combining neuroimaging and genetic techniques to characterize neural mechanisms associated with addictive disorders. Specifically, I am interested in how environmental factors (e.g., adolescent onset of use, early life stress) mediate the neural mechanisms that are associated with addictive disorders and how genetic risk moderates these effects. My current projects involve the determination of these effects using neuroimaging tools (sMRI, DTI, fMRI during resting state, cue-exposure tasks, reward and punishment tasks, response inhibition tasks and stress tasks) and a candidate gene approach in marijuana and tobacco users in addition to obese binge eaters.

Recent Publications

Filbey, F.M. and DeWitt, S.D. (2011). Cannabis Cue-elicited Craving and the Reward Neurocircuitry. Progress in Neuropsychopharmacology and Biological Psychiatry. In press.

Filbey, F.M., Claus, E.D., Forester, G., Morgan, M. and Hutchison, K.E. (2011). Dopaminergic genes modulate response inhibition in alcohol abusing adults. Addiction Biology, 16: no. doi: 10.1111/j.1369-1600.2011.00328.x.

Filbey, F.M., Schacht, J., Myers, U.M., Chavez, R., and Hutchison, K.E. (2009). Marijuana craving in the brain, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 106 (31), 13016-13021.