Aage and Margareta Moller Professor

PhD, Brown University

Visual Perception, Quantitative Models

GR 4.214

972-883-2486 phone

otoole@utdallas.edu email

Face Perception Research Lab website

About Alice O'Toole

My research interests include human perception, memory, and cognition, with an emphasis on computational approaches to modeling human information processing. I received a B.A. in Psychology (1983) from The Catholic University of America, Washington, DC, and a M.S. (1985) and Ph.D. (1988) in Experimental Psychology from Brown University, Providence, RI. Subsequently, I was a Postdoctoral Fellow at the Université de Bourgogne, Dijon, France, supported by the French Embassy to the United States, and at the Ecole Nationale Superieure des Télécommunications, Paris, France. In 1989, I came to the University of Texas at Dallas, where I established a laboratory for visual perception and image/object recognition experiments. In 1994-1996 I participated in two 6 month sabbaticals at the Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics, Tübingen, Germany supported by the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation. There, I worked on a variety of projects aimed at modeling the perceptual information in three-dimensional laser scans of human heads and relating this information to human memory for faces. I have continued this collaboration and have also continued on work at UTD on human memory for faces, and computational models of visual perception. I am currently working on two projects. The first is aimed at understanding how we recognize people from multiple, dynamic, biometric cues to identity. The second involves computational modeling of data from functional neuroimaging experiments.

Research Interests

My research interests include perception, memory, and cognition, with special interests in recognition memory for faces.  Recent work in my lab is aimed at understanding how we recognize people, both from moving and static displays. We are also working on comparing human performance on face recognition tasks to the performance of state-of-the-art face recognition algorithms. Another effort in my lab is focused on functional neuroimaging of high level vision, with emphasis on the use of pattern-based classifiers to analyze neural activation patterns.

Recent Publications

O'Toole, A. J., Natu, V., An, X., Rice, A., Ryland, J. & Phillips, P. J. (in press). The neural representation of faces and bodies in motion and at rest. NeuroImage. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroimage.2014.01.038

Phillips, P. J. and O'Toole, A. J. (2014). Comparison of human and computer performance across face recognition experiments. Image & Vision Computing, 32(1), 74-85.

Rice, A., Phillips, P. J., Natu, V., An, X., & O'Toole, A. J. (2013). Unaware person recognition from the body when face identification fails. Psychological Science, 24(11), 2235-2243. doi: 10.1177/0956797613492986

View more