Certificate in Holocaust Studies
The Certificate in Holocaust Studies is offered for students pursuing the MA and PhD in the Humanities through the Ackerman Center for Holocaust Studies at UT Dallas. Students who wish to pursue the certificate must do so in coordination with requirements for the degree plans for the Graduate Program in the Humanities.
Graduates of this 15 credit hour certificate will have a critical understanding of the Holocaust as well as modern Jewish culture, the history of anti-Semitism, and the major contemporary philosophical, aesthetic and analytical responses to this major event.
In order to begin work toward the certificate, each student must apply and be admitted to the certificate program, confirm with the Graduate Advisor that the classes they take will apply to the program, and meet regularly with the Director of the Ackerman Center, Dr. Nils Roemer.
The certificate is awarded upon completion of the courses in the certificate program, separately from completion of the degree program.
Registration for this certificate is available online, please follow the steps written below.Click here to begin registration
- Click on the link that says Sign Up.
- Enter your name, use your UT Dallas email address as your email address, and continue.
- You'll receive an email with a link you'll need to visit to set up your password. Create your password and continue.
- Now you'll start a new application. Fill out the application as follows:
- Arts and Humanities
- Holocaust Studies - Certificate
- Semester (example: Spring 2019)
- Write down your application ID somewhere safe in case you need it, verify the information is correct and continue.
- Answer whether you are a current student or not. If yes, enter your UTD ID number (this is not the same as your netID, but is located on your Comet Card) and continue. Only students currently enrolled in the Humanities – HUMA, HUAS, HUHI, HUSL (HUMA, HUHI, LIT, VPA) – MA or PhD programs are eligible to apply.
- Continue filling out the application and then click Review Application.
- If all information is correct, click Continue to Verify.
- The system will verify you and show you the final screen where you must click the box, write your name, and click Verify & Submit.
- You'll be taken to a screen that confirms your application and you'll receive an email confirming it has been submitted.
- From there, you'll be notified by someone once your application has been reviewed.
You may contact the Ackerman Center office at 972-883-2100, or by email: [email protected] if you have any questions or need more information.
Students should complete registration for the certificate as early as possible, but no later than the semester before they apply for graduation.
Students must fulfill the requirements for the Certificate in Holocaust Studies as stated in the graduate catalog governing their MA or PhD degree plan.